Our little Miracle

Our little Miracle
"And the Child grew and became strong in spirit, filled with wisdom; and the grace of God was upon him." ~Luke 2:40

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Breathing treatment

Austin is still doing well!!!  This is very exciting to me, of course it always is... but this week has been a "busy" week for Austin.  History shows he does not handle his immunizations very well, so I asked to have them spaced out through out the week...  He received a shot on Sunday, Monday, an eye exam (which looks good) on Tuesday and then yesterday did a breathing treatment of albuterol (I'll get back to this) and another (negative) RSV wash, today he will get his last immunization (for the month) and then Friday he gets another synagis for RSV and a repeat echocardiogram.  WOW!!! That's a lot.  So far so good!!!  

Yesterday Austin was sounding quite wheezy on his exhales, (he has had it intermittently for the past few weeks), and so the attending felt it may benefit him and help to open his airways a bit if we do an Albuterol breathing treatment.  He wasn't too crazy about having the mist blowing into his face, but he did okay.  She said he sounded much more clear and he wasn't wheezing , so that's good.  Before she orders it as once daily, she is ordering a repeat echocardiogram to assure that it is not cardiac related.  Apparently some wheezing can be caused by shunting of the blood by the heart... this would be new, he has not had heart problems, so prayers please.  If this is happening we will not continue the breathing treatments, as albuterol speeds the heart rate a little.

Austin is eating three bottles of breast milk a day and doing well.  He did not take to the breast very well.  He was latching fine, but once he lost his latch it was over.  I gave it try for five days and it was the same reactions from him.  Stressed out and refusing the breast.  I decided to continue pumping this next year to give him my breast milk and to build a larger supply in my freezer.  He does not take to change well and really does well with the bottle, and I think that was his "problem".  He likes the bottle nipple better.  I was a little bummed because I was looking forward to this mother son time, however, the important part of this equation is the breast milk itself, and I can still ensure that he gets it!! 

Austin is now 9 lbs 15.5oz.  He did hit the ten pound mark on Monday, but he lost a little bit as they weight adjusted the diurel.  He is getting longer too!  20 inches!  You can really tell he is growing length just by sight.  This experience has been crazy.  Very neat in many ways.   Austin is so awake and alert these days.  The doctors love when they go bedside for daily rounds.  They say even if he's sleeping, as they approach he wakes up and sits through the rounds everyday to hear his daily updates.  Quietly observing and taking it all in... perhaps he'll grow up to be a doctor!!  He is very nosey.  Everytime he hears a new voice in the room he is looking to see who it is, with his brow curled as to be thinking "that's a new one".  As someone walks by he is following them.  He is so attentive to me as I talk to him.  He is starting to push his tongue out and open and close his mouth as I talk to him, as to mimic me.  This is all so very encouraging to me.  Helps me to stay hopeful that all though he has had several episodes where he was deprived good oxygen, he may have been unaffected.  I pray and hope for that!!!!

Many days I wake up and still cannot believe how strong of a little guy Austin is... I mean, I am not surprised, as I have seen him over come so much... but to see that a small little (less than 2 pounds) baby can overcome and get through more than I think an average adult can....  Just amazing.  God's work.  I cant express enough that without FAITH, I would not have made it through this journey.  I would not have been able to.  There were too many times I was knocked back... TOO MANY... but God lifted me and kept me strong.  He has walked with me, with Austin, with my husband and other son, HAND in HAND.  It warms my heart each time I think about this.... that warmth reminds me that HE wouldn't have it any other way. 

I am very hopeful that Austin will be coming home in the next 2-3 weeks.  He is just so comfortable, seems so "organized" and well.  He is well!  Feels so good.   Another encouraging "event"... yesterday as I was talking to our FAVORITE fellow, Austin's nasal cannula came untaped (he ripped it off) and the cannula was close to his nose, but not in his nose... he kept sats in the 90's.  Dr. said he was so encouraged by that, because it shows the "flow" doesn't seem to be a factor.  I wouldn't be surprised if the go down on his flow today.  YAY!!!

I am feeling good about where Austin is currently, as for progress.  He is doing so well.  He has had a couple brady's the past week, but we are all pretty confident it has to do with reflux.  Other than that, he is good.  GREAT! 

I will always keep you all posted and updated on things... and I cannot wait to announce that we hit our "5 day count down"..... hopeful he's home by Easter!!!

Thank you for all of your support and prayers for Austin.   He is amazing!



Totally Spoiled

4 comments:

  1. I haven't been able to get online to read this blog much recently. I gave birth to our DD on February 22, and things have been crazy, as I'm sure you can imagine! But I have been wondering how Austin has been doing -- and it is great to hear that he is doing so well!! 10 lbs... what a big boy! Looking at the pictures from his birth and now, he has come so far. What a brave little warrior. He will be home before you know it!

    firstbabyphillips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, he really looks great! I admire how you take things one step at a time and face each challenge with such strength.
    Our little girl was born Feb 10 in our hometown in Brazil. She sends Austin a big baby hug all the way from Rio.

    Mrs Bota

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading your blog since you started it. I am so glad to hear he is doing so well. I am praying that you will get to take him home soon. I lost a baby at 23 weeks last year, and while it was hard and I miss her so much we just had another baby on January 30th. I have loved reading about Austin's progress and so happy that you will be taking a healthy baby boy home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Austin keep up the good work! Cant wait to read the blog that says you are coming home!!! We are still praying for you!!!
    Lindsey--lilly and davis mom

    ReplyDelete